Thursday, May 18, 2006

Hasidic Wedding

I shot a Hasidic wedding a few days ago, at Montreal's Chevra Kadisha-B’Nai Jacob Congregation, one of Montreal’s oldest orthodox Jewish synogogues.

It was a wonderful cultural experience for me. The family only wanted posed family photos of the women and children. They asked me not to take photos of the proceedings, but I did anyway-- exactly one shot-- because I couldn't believe they really didn't want ANY shots of the celebration.

It was a shot of the groom, flanked by the two fathers, on the way to the wedding ceremony. As soon as I took it, the rabbi immediately yelled at me to stop. Oops!

It's too bad, because it was like going back to the 12th century, complete with men in fur hats and knee socks, plenty of chanting and an open air ceremony in the pouring rain.

The kid photos are from the family photo session.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home